Environmental Health Officer
|Job Title:||Environmental Health Officer|
|Salary:||Band 7 role|
|Contact Name:||Lucia Schefermann|
|Job Published:||April 06, 2020 12:02|
Public Sector People are currently seeking an Environmental Health Officer to work join our client, a local council in the beautiful Barwon South West Region of Victoria.
The successful EHO will be responsible for delivering Council’s environmental health, including customer service, community education, statutory compliance and the research and production of innovative and effective policies, management plans and strategies.
The position is responsible for providing an efficient and effective municipal environmental health service and system improvements. As required the position will also participate in and support Council’s emergency management functions
- Undertake a range of service delivery inspections, registrations and compliance activities for registered premises, in accordance with relevant Acts including: the Food Act 1984, Public Health & Wellbeing Act 2008, Residential Tenancies Act 1997, Local Government Act 1989 and other legislation as applicable to perform the functions of an Environmental Health Officer.
- Undertake food surveillance activities including but not limited to:
- Supporting customers to develop food safety programs
- Inspections of all food premises and monitoring of premises for compliance with food safety programs
- Investigation of consumer complaints
- Implementation of food sampling program to meet statutory requirements and take such other investigation samples as may be necessary
- Respond to food re-calls.
- In consultation with the Unit Manager undertake education and promotion activities to assist proprietors, communities and community groups in meeting their legislative requirements.
- Ensure that nuisance complaints are investigated, resolved in a timely manner and assist with the resolution of problems by the provision of advice and/or direction.
- Undertake the assessment of wastewater management systems and the issue of permits, including the ongoing maintenance of system records.
- Provide environmental health related advice and recommendations to Council’s Planning and Building Unit regarding the suitability of proposed developments and applications.
- Provide information and guidelines to landowners, plumbers and builders both on site and over the counter as required.
- Deliver funded programs such the Tobacco Education & Enforcement programs in accordance with specified agreements
- Monitor, investigate and respond to any incidents of infectious and food/water borne diseases in the municipality and implement preventative action as required.
- Deliver an ongoing program of testing public swimming pools and provide appropriate advice and/or direction where necessary.
- Investigate and follow-up gastrointestinal notifications.
- Oversee and lead the implementation and as required the review of the Council Domestic Waste Water Management Plan.
- Develop as required relevant work programs, the review of Council budgets, monthly and yearly work plans, policies and procedures as they relate to the provision of the environmental health.
- Tertiary qualifications in Health Science or equivalent qualifications acceptable for membership of Environmental Health Australia
- Several years’ experience as an Environmental Health Officer in local or state government.
- Knowledge of and the ability to interpret and explain environmental health legislation, regulations and codes of practice (including Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, Food Act 1984, Tobacco Act 2000, Environmental Protection Act 1970).
- Oral communication skills of an order to effectively establish rapport with customers and community groups, liaise and negotiate with the Business, Community/Environmental Representatives and Consultants.
- Have extensive experience in the inspection, review and approval of septic tanks as per the requirements of the EPA Code of Practice.
For a confidential discussion regarding this opportunity please contact Lucia Schefermann on 038 535 3100 | Lucia@publicsectorpeople.com.au